Lourenço Marques, Mozambique
Vasco de Gama Square, Lourenco Marques, circa 1900
Vasco de Gama Square, Lourenco Marques, circa 1900
 
Lourenço Marques lies on the northern bank of Espírito Santo Estuary of Delagoa Bay, an inlet of the Indian Ocean. It was given the name of the Portuguese trader who first explored the region in 1544. The town developed around a Portuguese fortress completed in 1787. Its main growth dates from 1895, when a railroad to Pretoria, South Africa, was completed. There are also rails links to Swaziland and Zimbabwe. It superseded Moçambique as the capital of Portuguese East Africa in 1907. After independence in 1975, most of the city's large Portuguese population left and its name was changed to Maputo.
 
Wharf, Lourenco Marques
Wharf, Lourenco Marques
 
7th March Square, Lourenco Marques
7th March Square, Lourenco Marques
 
Coal, cotton, sugar, chrome, ore, sisal, copra, and hardwood are the chief exports. The city's main manufactures are food products, beverages, cement, pottery, furniture, shoes, and rubber; there is a large aluminum smelting operation nearby at Belaluane.
 
Imports
 
Goods
Country/Region
Machinery
Britain

 

Exports
 
Goods
Country/Region
Coal British Empire
Cotton Britain
Copra Britain
Sugar Britain
Chrome Britain
Ore Britain
Sisal Britain
Hardwood Britain

 

 

Industry
 
Port Industries
Other Industries
  Cement Works
  Aluminium Works
  Rubber
  Pottery

 

 

Scarrow Associations
 
.
Years sailed to/from Lourenco Marques
Robert Scarrow 1914, 1929-33, 1939

 
Home
Mariners
Belfast
Bombay
Calcutta
Cape Town
Demerara
Dublin
Galveston
Glasgow
Kingston
Lourenco Marques
Liverpool
London
New Orleans
Port Natal
Port Said
Quebec
Rio de Janeiro
St. Johns
Valparaiso